Wednesday, September 4, 2013

First Day! New Day!


AHHHH!!! I made it! I successfully made it through my first day as a teacher! Not that I doubted I would... I've just been building up 4 months and 1 days worth of anxiety, since I found out I got the job! There are students I will be working with that will push my knowledge as far as what I learned in school but they will also keep me on my toes about constant digging and research about I can help further their communication and academic goals. It's all so exciting!
There were a couple students that had me on the edge of my seat about today, but they were FABULOUS!! I seriously could not have asked for a better day from any of the kids! Especially the behavior kiddos who have a bar that may feel like it's set a little high at times. I would be complete out of comfort zone had it not been for the most awesomest year ever- 2009-2010 school year where I was a paraprofessional in an upper grade self contained behavior classroom. Now that I look back on those years not only did I learn so much from the kids, I learned so much from the teacher. The students never realize how big of an advocate for them and their success they had in their corner. The students frequently mistook it as us (teacher and paras) versus them (the student). Mike pushed them, hard. he knew those kids needed to be pushed to their boundaries because that's where we ALL get pushed to. Learn the coping strategies, learn to identify " the fire burning" in your belly! And to turn that fire off.
I find behavior extremely fascinating!! What is that make many students on the spectrum non-verbal?! I am working with a non verbal student who uses an ipad to communicate which is totally new for me. He is SO smart. SO SMART If you haven't already go watch A Mother's Courage: Talking Back to Autism. Thank you Dr. Johnston for teaching on of my favorite classes on communication where we were briefly introduced to augmentative and alternative communication systems. She's pretty much amazing. Too bad she isn't leading the trips to Peru anymore!!
I have strayed far from where this post was originally going... I have some photos that I'll share and give all of you in cyber land a sneak peek!!!

The first being my awesome entry way! Whhhich isn't done yet. 

Next up will be about two-thirds of my room. So teacher table straight back, the carpet center between centers then another teacher station. 




And my desk area!! I really do have a ton of room in the classroom. Everyone who had been in the classroom before mentions how bright and open it is. 

I am SO happy here. The responsibilities at times seem daunting and overwhelming but I am CAPABLE!! What I do not know I can learn! 

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
~ Benjamin Franklin



1 comment: